Why work anywhere else!
With aspirations of Innovation, Trust and Empowerment driving everything we do at Yarra Ranges Council, we inspire people to create a better future through:
- Stronger collaboration across teams
- Continuously looking for better ways to deliver
- Encouraging our people to be courageous, authentic and accountable
- Improving outcomes for our community
Located on metropolitan Melbourne's eastern fringe it is home to a population of 145,000. Yarra Ranges covers approximately 2,500 square kilometres and is one of Victoria's largest, most varied and scenic municipalities with more than 55 suburbs, townships, small communities and rural areas presenting diverse planning opportunities. As an organisation we enjoy an open and inclusive culture with great employment conditions, competitive salaries, flexible work arrangements, paid parental leave, and many varied learning and development opportunities. The Council is an equal opportunity employer and values the contributions a diverse workforce can bring to our community.
Why our team needs you
Our Strategic Planning department is currently looking for a full time planner to join the team to:
- Participate, as part of a small team, in the development and review of land use planning strategies and policies.
- Undertake research and specific projects to support the development of land use strategies and policies.
- Assist in the monitoring and analysis of the performance of Council's land use planning framework.
- Represent Strategic Planning on internal and external groups as required.
- Provide professional advice and ensure strategic planning considerations are addressed within the Department and by consultants (engaged by Council) during the preparation of strategic plans, policies, guidelines and amendments to the Planning Scheme.
- Review, analyse and comment on documents provided by officers, consultants, state government departments, agencies and other external sources.
- Salary from $82,599 per annum (Band 6), plus superannuation
- Permanent Full Time
- Fortnightly RDO available
What you’ll bring to our team
- Highly developed skills and knowledge in statutory land use planning processes including the Planning and Environment Act 1987 and the Victoria Planning Provisions
- Demonstrated experience in land use planning including preparation of land use planning policies, strategies and plans.
- Well developed skills and knowledge in social, economic and environmental issues relevant to the preparation of land use planning policies.
- Highly developed communication skills and report writing ability.
- Demonstrated skills in knowledge of community consultation techniques, negotiation, mediation and facilitation of outcomes.
Why you’ll want to join us
As part of creating a workplace that supports and enables collaboration, our employees enjoy a wide range of benefits including:
- Rostered days off
- Flexible working hours
- Excellent work/life balance
- Free onsite car parking
- Close to public transport
- Access to professional and career development opportunities
- Activity based work environment
Why wait, apply now
As part of your online application please include your cover letter, CV and a response to the below competencies (detailed in the position description).
The below competencies form the basis of the behaviours required to be successful in this role and are the selection criteria.
Contributing to Team Success
Actively participating as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals
Ensuring that the customer perspective is a driving force behind business decisions and activities; crafting and implementing service practices that meet customers’ and own organisation’s needs.
Originating action to improve existing conditions and processes; identifying improvement opportunities, generating ideas, and implementing solutions.
Maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusting effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements, or cultures.
Clearly conveying information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain the message.
Identifying and understanding issues, problems, and opportunities; comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
Effectively managing one’s time and resources to ensure that work is completed efficiently.
Maintaining stable performance under pressure or opposition (such as time pressure or job ambiguity); handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization.
Having achieved a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position-related areas; keeping up with current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
Setting high standards of performance for self and others; assuming responsibility and accountability for successfully completing assignments or tasks; self-imposing standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed.
Click to view the position description or for further information about our recruitment process visit our Careers at Yarra Ranges page.
Contact for enquiries: Madeleine Cheah, Executive Officer Strategic Planning on 9294 6362
Closing date: 11.59pm, Monday 5 March 2018
Conditions of employment are in accordance with the Yarra Ranges Shire Council Enterprise Agreement 2016 and our Corporate Code of Conduct. Applicants will require the following:
- A current Victorian Driver’s Licence
Yarra Ranges Council is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to conversations for all positions about flexibility that works for you, be it full-time / part-time / job-share / purchased leave. We are committed to a culturally safe workplace that fosters diversity and inclusion and to the protection of children against child abuse in line with the Victorian Child Safe Standards.