Start your career in one of the world’s most dynamic industries!
Are you looking for a career that touches the lives of every day Australians?
Then please step forward, and apply for the Australian Energy Market Operator’s (AEMO) 2019 Graduate Development Program!
Recognised as one the nation’s top 100 graduate employers in 2017, our program puts graduates on the frontline of Australia’s energy industry, as we help operate, manage and evolve Australia’s gas and electricity sectors.
With exposure to real projects and real responsibilities, graduates will work alongside some of Australia’s top energy experts. Successful applicants are provided with a comprehensive development syllabus supported by mentors, managers, and buddies throughout our three-year program.
During four structured nine-month rotations, graduates will work across the entire AEMO organisation, building their knowledge of our gas and electricity operation, and Australia’s energy sector as a whole.
AEMO is responsible for ensuring all Australians have access to a secure and reliable supply of energy 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
We operate the National Electricity Market (NEM) that services Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, and the Australian Capital Territory and the Wholesale Electricity Market in Western Australia. We also manage gas markets in every state except Tasmania and Northern Territory and operate Victoria’s gas system.
AEMO plays a key role in helping shape a reliable, affordable and environmentally responsible energy future for Australia. We provide expert advice to government and the energy sector to inform policy, and to assist in investment decisions and infrastructure management.
Some of the exciting tasks AEMO is working on now include:
- Improving the forecasting accuracy of wind and solar power generation.
- Registering and connecting new energy generation sources.
- Reviewing and advising on current energy market rules and processes.
- Providing planning and advice on integrating new energy technologies.
Along with a strong interest in Australia’s evolving energy sector, you will enjoy working in a challenging environment, have excellent communication skills, demonstrate good initiative and display highly developed analytical and problem-solving skills.
Applications are open to graduates who have recently completed their degrees or are due to do so in 2018.
Applicable areas of study and qualification would include:
- IT/Architecture with an emphasis on artificial intelligence, application enhancement, software engineering, infrastructure to energy platforms
- Engineering - electrical / mechanical / chemical with a focus on power systems and/or gas operations
- Economics/Econometricians including analysis of energy market trends, market design, supply and demand, market behaviour and regulatory policy
- Maths/Science with a focus on data science, analytical forecasting, statistical modellers and planning
- Energy Systems and Renewables
Supporting a diverse workforce
AEMO strongly believes in supporting a diverse and inclusive workplace that welcomes people from all cultures, ethnicities, religions and genders. As a supporter of Harmony Day, our latest survey shows our employee base to be rich in variety, with over forty cultural backgrounds and more than sixty languages represented. We are also focused on being an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage women and candidates from Indigenous or Torres Strait Islander descent.
How to apply
Please submit your application by clicking ‘Apply’ creating or updating your profile and following the application steps by Sunday 8 July 2018.
As part of the application process, please complete all online questions, upload a copy of your CV and a one-page (maximum) cover letter outlining how you meet the role requirements and a copy of your current academic transcript.